Dustin Poirier reacts to Nate Diaz potentially retiring

Last night, Nate Diaz appeared to announce his retirement from MMA. At the very least, it seems as though he’s setting off on another long break.

This development generated reactions from many members of the MMA community. That includes former UFC lightweight title challenger Dustin Poirier, who has recently called for a fight with Diaz.

“Fuck a rematch, this shit was over before it started,” Diaz wrote on Instagram. “Goin on out on tour. Peace out fight game.”

“We finally agree on something,” Poirier responded on Twitter.

Diaz fought last Saturday, in the main event of UFC 244 in New York City, and came up short to Jorge Masvidal in a one-and-done “BMF” title fight. The contest ended between the third and fourth rounds when the doctor deemed Diaz’s cuts too severe for him to continue fighting.

After this fight, Diaz briefly called for a rematch with Masvidal, keen for a more decisive ending. Poirier, meanwhile, called for a fight with Diaz.

Poirier and Diaz were scheduled to fight in late 2018, also in New York City. Regrettably, this fight was cancelled at the last minute. Initially, the understanding was that Poirier was forced out of the fight with an injury. More recently, however, “The Diamond” claimed that he withdrew from the fight when negotiations between Diaz and the UFC got rocky.

“[Diaz] wanted it he just couldn’t come to terms with ufc,” Poirier wrote on Twitter. “They offered us the main event at msg but he would only agree if it was on his terms. I was tired of playing games with the guy and that’s when i decided to address a injury I had been dealing with. Now you all know.

“And thats the whole truth with me and Nate situation ….also I jumped the gun when news came out that he failed a test. He’s always been a guy who pushed for clean eating and clean sport. I shouldn’t have. Doesn’t change the fact that I still want to beat his ass.”

Do you think Nate Diaz is really retiring? If he’s not, do you think a fight with Dustin Poirier makes sense for him?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 11/7/2019. 

The post Dustin Poirier reacts to Nate Diaz potentially retiring appeared first on | BJPenn.com.

Paul Felder ready to make run to the top, eyes matchups with McGregor, Gaethje and Poirier

NEW YORK – Paul Felder is ready to make a run for the lightweight title.

Felder (17-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC), who’s been continuously calling out the likes of Conor McGregor, broke down the lightweight picture, and said he’d also be interested in matchups with 155-pound contender Justin Gaethje or former lightweight title challenger Dustin Poirier, as well.

“Conor coming back is kinda good,” Felder told MMA Junkie at UFC 244 in New York this past Saturday. “It’s very good stuff, but it’s mixing things up. Who’s he going to fight? Obviously (Donald) ‘Cowboy’ (Cerrone) – they’re saying is the frontrunner for that. But Gaethje I know really wanted it. Poirier just had hip surgery, so he might be out until March. I know (Dan) Hooker’s looking for an opponent to go down there to New Zealand. But these are all things that interest me but for that fight. I would like that to be the main event if that was something that was going to come up.”

Felder is on a two-fight winning streak with back-to-back wins over James Vick and Edson Barboza in September at UFC 242, which avenged a prior loss. He has won five of his past six and is ready to take on one of the top-ranked fighters in the division,

“Obviously Poirier or Gaethje or Conor or any of these guys ranked above me – I’ll take any of them, as well,” Felder said. “I’m kind of open for what (UFC matchmaker) Sean (Shelby) has to suggest right now and we’ll sit back. (I’ll) kind of be up for a new contract soon, too – so a lot of things to talk about and get moving.

“For me, Justin Gaethje I think is a challenge. I think he’s one of the biggest challenges at lightweight right now. I think he’s as tough as they come. He’s knocking everybody out. Obviously I think Tony (Ferguson) is the same way – dude’s an absolute savage. But he’s got business to handle with Khabib (Nurmagomedov), and I think that fight needs to happen. So Gaethje, obviously because he’s ranked higher, puts me in a better position. Poirier is another one. But I’m not cancelling the idea of fighting below me as well, depending on what the matchup is.”

All Felder knows, is he’s ready to get back in there. The 35-year-old lightweight contender thinks the time is now to make his run to the top while he eagerly waits to sit down with the UFC, and discuss his next options.

He’d be willing to face anyone if the matchup interests him.

“I don’t want to be one of those guys always fighting up, then complaining about those guys not wanting to fight down,” Felder said. “It’s got to go both ways. So I’m taking everybody into consideration right now. We’ll see, but I’m trying to make that run to the top, man, because I’m not getting any younger.”

UFC 244 – The Fallout

Controversial finish aside, I think I speak for all of us when I say Jorge ‘Gamebred’ Masvidal looked absolutely flawless last night at Madison Square Garden. The resurrection continued against Nathan Diaz, via a third round doctor’s stoppage in his BMF title headliner. A large cut both above Diaz’s right eye, and on the cheek of the Stockton native, forced the New York State Athletic Commissioner’s cageside physician to call a halt to proceedings. Diaz argued the stoppage afterwards, but on all three judges scorecards after the fifteen minute affair, Masvidal was coasting.

The original cut was formed early in the opening round, as Masvidal sliced Diaz with an elbow on the break from a fence clinch, before landing a head kick as Diaz stumbled to the mat. Finding a consistent target over the next two rounds, Masvidal peppered Diaz with a stinging left hook, and an overhand right which caused a second knockdown. Masvidal held the advantage on both the power and speed side of the standup equation, mixing combinations with a right roundhouse to the body on cue. Anyone but Nate Diaz gets finished by the shots Masvidal was landing, that’s a given.

The gritty Diaz claimed how the game plan ahead of the matchup, was to turn the heat up on ‘Gamebred’ in both the fourth and fifth round, two more frames we unfortunately failed to see. Masvidal, strapped with the Baddest Motherf**ker championship by The Rock, told Joe Rogan how he would be interested in a rematch. I think all of us agree with that statement. The promotion seems to be American Top Team trainee Masvidal’s oyster at the moment, he can call the shots.

The middleweight division also received a reshuffle last night, as a tentative Darren Till nabbed a split decision over one-time interim middleweight champion Kelvin Gastelum. After the closely contested clash, a brave and emotional Till spoke backstage of his pre-fight fear and nerves, and how he even explored the possibility of withdrawing from the bout. The Liverpool striker explained how he had been dealing with demons ever since his loss to Tyron Woodley and the aforementioned Jorge Masvidal. Over three rounds, Till stuck on the outside, executed a leg kick heavy game plan and countered while possible. Gastelum on the other hand, really never got started all night and failed to mitigate the movement of Till and close the distance effectively.

So, what next for our main and co-main event features?

Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz II:

Nate (Diaz), heal up, run it back in (Las) Vegas.” Joe Rogan hit the nail on the head. There’s unfinished business here. Sure, Masvidal was running away with the victory and was three rounds to the good, but both Nick and Nate Diaz are famed for their ability to rally late on and make a gigantic comeback. The Florida native has spoke of his acceptance of a rematch in the future, despite UFC President Dana White’s reluctance to book one as of yet. In my opinion, if last night’s venue was the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, we at the very least, get to see a fourth round. Masvidal suffered some hand injuries in the lead up this record-setting finish of Ben Askren, and has plans to rehab those injuries ahead of a 2020 return. Nate Diaz must also allow time for his facial lacerations to heal and according to Dana White, the Californian must undergo plastic surgery to remove cartilage around his eye. Before a re-run in the future, Masvidal may have another target on his hit list.

Kamaru Usman – Colby Covington winner vs. Jorge Masvidal:

The ultimate goal for Jorge Masvidal has to be world championship success. Kamaru Usman defends his welterweight title in the headliner of UFC 245 in December, against Colby Covington. Expect ‘Gamebred’ to keep a close eye on proceedings. The history between Covington and Masvidal is firmly there. Former friends, now sworn enemies, who still ply their trade at American Top Team. During his siege of the 170-pound title, the brash Covington has had some choice words regarding teammates, Dustin Poirier, Joanna Jędrzejczyk, and Jorge Masvidal. ‘Gamebred’ has poked fun at both Usman’s and Covington’s predominanty wrestling based offence as of late, noting how many total career finishes he has when compared to both.

Dustin Poirier vs. Nate Diaz:

This matchup was booked for UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden last year. Poirier remains adamant that Diaz stalled during negotiations and how he in turn, chose to undergo hip surgery. Even after the event last night, Poirier called for a re-scheduling with the Stockton favorite. “I got Nate (Diaz) next if they don’t book the rematch.” Poirier, who most recently challenged Khabib Nurmagomedov for the lightweight championship in Abu Dhabi, has flirted with the idea of a move to 170-pounds, a division where Diaz seems more than comfortable at.

Robert Whittaker vs. Darren Till:

Former UFC middleweight champion Robert ‘The Reaper’ Whittaker recently canceled a public appearance scheduled for December, in a press release, teasing an imminent return to the Octagon. The Aussie striker recently dropped the 185-pound title to Israel Adesanya at UFC 243, and is eager for a return to active-competition. Who better to face off with than Darren Till? The Liverpudlian spoke with Ariel Helwani and Chael Sonnen after his matchup with Kelvin Gastelum, where he outlined his ambitions to meet the previously mentioned Adesanya at Anfield in a middleweight championship tilt. Whittaker presents a significant roadblock to such a meeting, and for the time being, it seems ‘The Last Stylebender’ is interested in a meeting with former three-time title hopeful, Yoel Romero after Paulo Costa underwent bicep surgery.

Kelvin Gastelum vs. Jared Cannonier:

Jared Cannonier has completely lit the UFC middleweight division up since his drop in weight classes earlier this year. The heavy-hitter has gone 3-0 at 185-pounds, where he has finished David Branch, Anderson Silva and in a huge performance, stopped Jack Hermansson at UFC Fight Night Copenhagen last month. Gastelum, who looked fantastic against Adesanya in his interim title challenge defeat, failed to kick start any significant offense against Till last night, but a meeting with a more boxing oriented Cannonier may suit the Kings MMA staple.

Twitter: ://twitter.com/Ross_Markey

Dustin Poirier shares ‘the whole truth’ about canceled Nate Diaz fight

Dustin Poirier and Nate Diaz were expected to fight at UFC 230 in November of 2018. Regrettably, Poirier was forced out of the fight with an injury. At least, that’s what we were all initially told.

Since that matchup, Poirier has suggested several times that it was Diaz, not him, that pulled out of the fight.

Speaking on Twitter on Monday afternoon, Poirier shared what he calls “the whole truth” about this foiled bout with Diaz. From the sounds of it, he could have taken the fight, but when negotiations between Diaz and the UFC hit a snag, he got fed up, cut his losses, and chose to address a lingering injury instead of taking the fight.

Poirier also apologized for some of his recent remarks about Diaz, and assured that he still wants to fight him.

Here’s what he had to say.

“[Diaz] wanted it he just couldn’t come to terms with ufc,” Poirier said of the matchup. “They offered us the main event at msg but he would only agree if it was on his terms. I was tired of playing games with the guy and that’s when i decided to address a injury I had been dealing with. Now you all know.

“And thats the whole truth with me and Nate situation ….also I jumped the gun when news came out that he failed a test. He’s always been a guy who pushed for clean eating and clean sport. I shouldn’t have. Doesn’t change the fact that I still want to beat his ass.”

Dustin Poirier last fought in September, when he came up short in a title fight with UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, losing by third-round submission.

Nate Diaz, meanwhile, is set to return to the cage at UFC 244 this weekend. In the card’s main event, he’ll battle Jorge Masvidal for the first and last BMF title.

What do you think of this account from Poirier?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 10/28/2019. 

The post Dustin Poirier shares ‘the whole truth’ about canceled Nate Diaz fight appeared first on | BJPenn.com.

Nick Diaz goes after Dustin Poirier for taking shots at his brother Nate

Not long after Nate Diaz announced that an adverse United States Anti-Doping Agency test result had forced him out of his UFC 244 main event battle with Jorge Masvidal, Dustin Poirier took to social media to share his thoughts on the situation.

Poirier, who was briefly targeted to fight Diaz late last year, was fresh out of surgery. Despite his condition, he did not hold back.

“Talking all that sh*t about steroids,” Poirier said in a video posted to Twitter. “F*ck you, Nate.”

“You pulled out of my fight too,” Poirier added in a second Tweet. “You a b*tch. Fake ass gangster.”

Not long after Poirier made this comment, Nate’s brother Nick Diaz issued a scathing response in his Instagram story. Nate then shared this response in his own story, echoing his brother’s sentiment.

Nate Diaz, Dustin Porier

“LOL this lol hoe b*tch hurt his p*ssy again,” Nick Diaz wrote on Instagram “Good vibes U gonna be alright D.”

At this time, it’s not clear what the future holds for Nate Diaz and the UFC 244 main event. Here is how Diaz announced the issue himself.

“I’m not gonna make it out to NYC for fight week next week because they say I tested with elevated levels that they say might be from some tainted supplements.” Diaz wrote in a statement. “I call false on that cause I only take Whole Food or natural food supplements. I don’t even eat meat!

“So until UFC, USADA or whoever is F**KING with me fixes it, I won’t be competing. I’m not gonna play their game and try and hide it or keep quiet, as they suggested. I’m not going to have my name tainted as a cheater like these other mothef**kers who keep quiet until after the fight so they can get paid. Fuck*ng cheaters.

“I don’t give a f*ck about some money over my dignity and my legacy.” Diaz concluded. “I’m not staying quiet and figuring it out after the fight. That’s cheating. So fight game, I’ll see you when I see you. The realest baddest mother f**ker in the game.”

Stay tuned for more news on Nate Diaz as details emerge.

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 10/25/2019. 

The post Nick Diaz goes after Dustin Poirier for taking shots at his brother Nate appeared first on | BJPenn.com.

VIDEO | Dustin Poirier sends Nate Diaz a message from Hospital bed

Former UFC interim lightweight champion Dustin Poirier has taken a shot at Nate Diaz following today’s news that the Stockton native will no longer be fighting at UFC 244.

Diaz was expected to square off with Jorge Masvidal in the headliner of November’s pay-per-view event in New York. The winner of that welterweight fight was set to receive the promotions new BMF Title.

Unfortunately for fight fans, Nate Diaz revealed earlier this evening that he will no longer be competing at the November 2 event at Madison Square Garden.

Many were shocked by the news, including former rival Dustin Poirier.

Diaz offered the following explanation for his removal:

“I’m not gonna make it out to NYC for fight week next week because they say I tested with elevated levels that they say might be from some tainted supplements. I call false on that cause I only take Whole Food or natural food supplements. I don’t even eat meat. So until UFC, Usada or whoever is F*****G with me Fixes it, I won’t be competing. I’m not gonna play their game and try and hide it or keep quiet, as they suggested. I’m not gonna have my name as tainted as a cheater like these other motherf*****s who keep quiet until after the fight just so they can get paid. f****n cheaters.”

See Nate Diaz’s full statement here.

Fresh out of hip surgery, Dustin Poirier caught wind of the news and delivered the following messages to ‘The Stockton Slugger’ from his hospital bed via Twitter.

Diaz and Poirier were once slated to fight at UFC 230 in New York. However, that bout failed to come to fruition for multiple reasons.

What do you think of Dustin Poirier taking a shot at Nate diaz following tonight’s news? Sound off in the comments section Penn Nation!

This article first appeared on bjpenn.com October 24, 2019

The post VIDEO | Dustin Poirier sends Nate Diaz a message from Hospital bed appeared first on | BJPenn.com.