Khabib Nurmagomedov rejects Conor McGregor’s rematch request: ‘We don’t pay attention to idiots’

Ever since Conor McGregor lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 he has been clamoring for a rematch. Yet, if it is up to the Dagestani champion, the Irishman won’t be getting one, ever.

Nurmagomedov has come out and said McGregor needs 10 wins before he gets a rematch. But, when asked about a fight in Moscow, the champion shut it down and believes the Irishman doesn’t even want the fight.

“Honestly I don’t think he wants that fight. How is that so? I beat him up for four rounds. I beat him and choked him and he tapped,” Nurmagomedov said in a fan Q&A (via RT Sport) It was a sign he didn’t want to be there, ‘let me go please’ and all that. And now he wants the rematch.

“First of all he has to earn it. We’re in the fourth year since his last victory. It’s been three years and now we’re in the fourth. In order to fight for the title I had to win 10 fights in a row in the UFC,” he continued. “That’s not counting the 16 victories I had outside the UFC. In every fight I earned it not with my mouth but with my actions. That’s where we’re different, he talks about it, I just do it.

“It’s nice for me, because even when I keep quiet and even when I don’t say anything people can weigh it up for themselves. ‘Hang on, this guy talks and this guy just acts’. Just talking is one thing, but when it comes to doing it, he’s completely different. So for me there are no kind of announcements or insults. He’s an idiot. We don’t pay attention to idiots,” Khabib Nurmagomedov concluded.

Conor McGregor has come out and said he will return to the Octagon on Jan. 18 where it is expected it will be against Donald Cerrone. As for Khabib Nurmagomedov, he says he will return around March and take on Tony Ferguson.

What do you make of Khabib Nurmagomedov’s comments towards Conor McGregor? Sound off in the comment section, PENN Nation!

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 11/20/2019. 

The post Khabib Nurmagomedov rejects Conor McGregor’s rematch request: ‘We don’t pay attention to idiots’ appeared first on | BJPenn.com.

Conor McGregor donates $1 million of Proper No. 12 whiskey profits to first responders

Conor McGregor’s Proper No. 12 whiskey has been a huge success, and the UFC superstar is giving back, donating $1 million to first responders.

McGregor took to Instagram to announce that due to the incredible sales for his Irish whiskey, he will donate over seven figures to the first responders who help keep the rest of us safe from harm. Check out what McGregor said.

View this post on Instagram

Happy 1st birthday to @properwhiskey!!! What a journey it has been so far! We are now in 8 countries to date, with many more planned for 2020! I am so thankful to you all for your support and love of PROPER No. TWELVE! I also want to thank the fine Irish women and men who have worked so diligently at the distillery and beyond…what an amazing team we have! When we started this business, something very important to me was to give back. For every case we sell, my company donates $5 up to 1 million dollars per year to first responders. I am very proud to announce that we have already hit the 1 million dollar mark! This is all thanks to you! Our fans! Thank you all ❤ In the New Year, we will begin donating the first million dollars to first responder organizations. My team is vetting it all out now to be sure it goes into the proper hands. Thank you all for the support! Sláinte #ONEFORALL @properwhiskey

A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on

“Happy 1st birthday to @properwhiskey!!! What a journey it has been so far! We are now in 8 countries to date, with many more planned for 2020! I am so thankful to you all for your support and love of PROPER No. TWELVE! I also want to thank the fine Irish women and men who have worked so diligently at the distillery and beyond…what an amazing team we have! When we started this business, something very important to me was to give back. For every case we sell, my company donates $5 up to 1 million dollars per year to first responders. I am very proud to announce that we have already hit the 1 million dollar mark! This is all thanks to you! Our fans! Thank you all In the New Year, we will begin donating the first million dollars to first responder organizations. My team is vetting it all out now to be sure it goes into the proper hands. Thank you all for the support! Sláinte #ONEFORALL @properwhiskey” – Conor McGregor

McGregor is currently set to return to the Octagon on January 18, 2020, when he competes in the main event of UFC 246, most likely against Donald Cerrone. McGregor’s manager Audie Attar recently confirmed the good news.

Though it’s been a rough 2019 for McGregor as he has been involved in news headlines for all the wrong reasons, it’s nice to see him make such a great gesture here for the first responders who help us all.

What do you think about Conor McGregor donating so much money to first responder organizations?

The post Conor McGregor donates $1 million of Proper No. 12 whiskey profits to first responders appeared first on | BJPenn.com.

USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, Nov. 19: Conor McGregor keeps on slipping

If Conor McGregor fought a fraction as often as he tweeted about potential fights, and then went out and won those fights, he’d be atop the pound-for-pound rankings list.

And make no mistake, when when MMA’s prodigal son does make his return to the octagon, it will still be a very big deal.

But in the meantime, the rankings move on. You wouldn’t put USC football No. 1 in the polls this year based on what they did in the Reggie Bush Era. Likewise, McGregor’s accomplishments in winning the UFC featherweight and lightweight championships in 2015 and 2016 are increasingly irrelevant when putting together rankings lists as we head into the 2019 holiday season.

McGregor has not won a fight since he beat Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight belt in November 2016. His only MMA fight since was a loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.

UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya, who is No. 9 in this week’s USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie pound-for-pound rankings, had not even made his UFC debut the last time McGregor won a fight.

McGregor is no longer on the pound-for-pound list. He’s no longer in the featherweight rankings. Lightweight? Well, he’s still listed there, but he’s no longer on the short list of title contenders.

We’ve got “The Notorious” in at No. 12 at 155 pounds this week. Maybe he’ll announce a fight soon and have the opportunity to prove he should still be listed with the likes of Nurmagomedov, Tony Ferguson, and Justin Gaethje. But for now, he’s right on the edge of becoming yesterday’s news.

To find out where last week’s winners and losers — like UFC on ESPN+ 22 main eventers Jan Blachowicz and Ronaldo Souza — shake out in the week’s rankings, click on the drop-down menu above.

Khabib Nurmagomedov: ‘I don’t like hurting people, but I enjoyed smashing Conor McGregor’

Khabib Nurmagomedov on beating Conor McGregor

(Courtesy of RT Sport)

At a meeting with school kids in the Moscow Region, Khabib Nurmagomedov was asked about his proudest victory. Playing to his crowd, Nurmagomedov said that he didn’t like hurting people, but had to admit, he took pleasure in beating Conor McGregor at UFC 229 in 2018.


TRENDING > MMA fighter takes down aggressive anti-Trump protestor at flag waiving ceremony


 

Callout Collection: Who UFC Sao Paulo winners want next – and how likely they’ll get them

Earning wins in the UFC is certainly no easy task, but what comes next is often even more important: the post-fight callout.

So after Saturday’s UFC on ESPN+ 22 event in Sao Paulo, who took advantage of their time on the mic? See below for this week’s Callout Collection – and just how realistic each one is.

* * * * *

First up, let’s take a look at the night’s prelim winners.

Randy Brown

Wants to fight: Michael Chiesa

Michael Chiesa

The callout: “I got somebody I want to talk to: Michael Chiesa, I’ve always wanted a fight with you, my brother, and I don’t want to have to talk about your momma in order to get this fight, so let’s make it happen, my brother.”

The reality: To be honest, I really don’t hate the idea of this fight, and I like the way Randy Brown (12-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) approached the request. It was respectful, but it had a little humor in it, as well, bringing up the infamous Chiesa-Kevin Lee press conference exchange ahead of their 2017 clash. The two rangy fighters would likely provide an entertaining contest, and Brown’s obviously improved submission skills mean that he’s becoming a more well-rounded challenge.

If I’m being honest, though, I can’t see where Chiesa (16-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) agrees to this. Yes, the former lightweight is relatively new in the welterweight division, but he came in with wins over true legendary names in Carlos Condit and Diego Sanchez. Sure, you can argue that neither of those men are at their peak right now, but you can’t deny the starpower they carry. For that reason, I see Chiesa looking for an opponent with a number next to his name, and I’m guessing the UFC will oblige.

Francisco Trinaldo

Wants to fight: Edson Barboza

Edson Barboza

The callout: “I would like to face Edson Barboza next. He is the best muay Thai athlete in Brazil. I think it would be a great match.”

The reality: For years, it seemed Brazilian fighters not only weren’t all that interested in facing their countrymen but actually went out of their way to avoid clashing, regardless of the circumstances. But Saturday’s card had a number of Brazil vs. Brazil matchups, and those days seem to be changing, a welcome development. Now, you’ve got a Brazilian folk hero in Francisco Trinaldo (24-7 MMA, 14-6 UFC) outwardly asking for a fight with another standout from his home nation in Barboza (20-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC).

In truth, Barboza isn’t really one to be calling the shots right ow. He faces only the absolute best fighters in the division, but he’s at 1-4 in his past five appearances and is going to have to take whatever is offered. That might be good news for Trinaldo, who has had mixed results in his UFC run but in seven years has had only brief exposure to the top-tier talents at 155 pounds.

Both guys probably see this as a winnable fight, and I can’t see more pressing needs for either of them. Let’s tee it up for that rumored Brasilia event in March.

Charles Oliveira

Wants to fight: Conor McGregor or Paul Felder

Conor McGregor and Paul Felder

The callout: “I’ve been here for 10 years. I always say I want a ranked opponent. I’ll call it by the name: Conor McGregor, come on, or else Paul Felder, the last one to beat me. Come on. I’ll meet you again.”

The reality: Charles Oliveira(28-8 MMA, 16-8 UFC) has been in the UFC for more than nine years, and we’ve watched him grow up in front of us, in both the physical sense and as a fighter, in general. Along the way, he’s turned in some incredibly memorable performances – well, memorable except for the fact that he has always taken the “whatever is next” approach to his career. Now, at 30, Oliveira is finally speaking out.

In truth, he deserves it. Finally admitting he’s not a featherweight, Oliveira has embraced his move to 155 pounds is now riding a six-fight winning streak – a run that includes five “Performance of the Night” awards. That’s incredibly impressive.

The McGregor call-out, well, that’s a little disappointing, but it’s understandable. McGregor is still a huge name, and I’m sure to a submission ace like Oliveira, the Irishman looks like an easy paycheck. But let’s be honest. It ain’t happening.

Felder? Well, “The Irish Dragon” was the last man to beat Oliveira, and I’m sure he’d appreciate a shot at revenge. Of course, Felder is in the midst of a 5-1 run right now, as well, with the lone loss in that span coming in a welterweight fight, and he’s hoping for a No. 1 contender fight – or something close to it – as he manages the final stages of his in-cage career before jumping full-time into the broadcast booth.

For those reasons, I don’t know that I see either of these coming together. The good news for Oliveira, though, is the top of the division is all unbooked right now. Islam Makachev isn’t a big name, but his reputation is strong among fighters. Or perhaps Kevin Lee?

What makes sense to you?

Tyson Fury confirms plans to train with Conor McGregor: ‘What better trainer could I have?’

Lineal boxing heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has been hinting pursuing MMA, and he is taking it seriously.

Earlier this month, Fury and fellow Englishman Darren Till worked out and sparred. Now, Fury plans to take it a step further and go to Dublin, Ireland to train with Conor McGregor.

“I’m looking forward to coming to train with Conor. We’re going to get it all planned in and I should be over in Dublin quite soon,” Fury said to on RTÉ Radio 1 (h/t The Mac Life).

“I think Conor is an absolutely fantastic fighting man. He has offered to train me if I ever want to go into MMA,” he added. “What better trainer could I have than the Notorious Conor McGregor? I’m looking forward to coming to train with Conor. We’re going to get it all planned in and I should be over in Dublin quite soon.

“I’ll definitely be coming over for a training session, that is for sure. I have been MMA training in the last week with Darren Till in Liverpool,” Fury continued. “I really enjoy the new challenge. I don’t know where or when [I’ll move into MMA] because after I finish my boxing career I fancy my hand at MMA as well.”

Many thought Tyson Fury going into MMA was a joke, including UFC president Dana White who didn’t seem interested in it. Yet heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic says he is more intrigued by the Fury fight than the Daniel Cormier trilogy.

There is no question the boxing champ is interested in doing MMA and taking it quite seriously by working with Till and McGregor.

Conor McGregor has not fought since his UFC 229 title fight loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov. He has claimed he will return to the Octagon on Jan. 18, probably against Donald Cerrone.

What do you make of Tyson Fury planning on training with Conor McGregor in MMA?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 11/14/2019. 

The post Tyson Fury confirms plans to train with Conor McGregor: ‘What better trainer could I have?’ appeared first on | BJPenn.com.

Owen Roddy Excited At The Prospect Of McGregor vs. Cowboy In January

Former Straight Blast Gym Ireland striking coach, Owen Roddy, has spoke of his excitement at the possibility of a lightweight meeting between his long term pupil, Conor McGregor, and fan-favorite, Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone.

Roddy, who has partnered John Kavanagh in the McGregor corner for every bout in the Dubliner’s Octagon career, played a huge role in the counter-striker’s preparation for his 2017 boxing match opposite, Floyd Mayweather Jr. Despite the recent rumblings of a fallout between the trio, Roddy has reassured us that he will feature in McGregor’s corner when he makes his expected January 18th. return against Cerrone. In a recent interview with Farah Hannoun from MMA JunkieRoddy confirmed his appearance in the corner, and gave his thoughts on the potential pairing.

Yup, yup, yup – yeah definitely, yeah,” Roddy said. “If it is ‘Cowboy’ (Cerrone) it would be an exciting fight, yeah. I said this a couple of months ago: ‘Cowboy’ and Conor (McGregor) is a great fight for the fans. Two guys that are exciting strikers – although ‘Cowboy’ is phenomenal on the ground, as well, but I think if it was a fight between them, It would be a striking battle, and I think it would be one for the fans, so if it is that, it’ll be an exciting one.

McGregor, who turns thirty-two next year, has yet to step foot inside the Octagon since his UFC 229 defeat to bitter-foe, Khabib Nurmagomedov in October of last year, revealed a blueprint of three bouts over the course of the next twelve months. McGregor spoke of his January return while carrying out a press tour for Parimatch in Russia and Ukraine recently, and told how he would also look to be paired with the winner of Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz who met for the BMF title two weeks ago. With Masvidal leaving Madison Square Garden victorious, McGregor must overcome ‘Gamebred’ before a meeting with either the aforementioned Nurmagomedov or Tony Ferguson for lightweight gold. Roddy further told of McGregor’s training regime, which one could speculate is about to ramp up with SBG Ireland head coach Kavanagh telling how the Dublin facility will be closed to “non-members” between 10a.m. and 4p.m.

I know he’s working very hard. There’s no official date set yet, but Conor’s been training very hard, as you can see. He’s in good nick. If you’re looking at any of the pictures, he’s in phenomenal shape, he’s ready to go. I’m sure everybody’s excited to see him back. I just want to see Conor back in. I think everybody just wants to see Conor back in the UFC, bring back that spectacle that is his fights. Nobody does it like Conor, and for me, I just want to see him back in there. Whatever happens after that, who knows?

As for Colorado native Cerrone, a matchup with McGregor has been a considerable time in the making. The two were primed to meet until Cerrone’s welterweight excursion, and an injury to Rafael dos Anjos before UFC 196 almost sealed the pairing, until Nate Diaz stepped in on short-notice. ‘Cowboy’ has featured at lightweight in his last four Octagon walks, besting both Alexander Hernandez and Al Iaquinta, before double-stoppage losses to former interim title holder Tony Ferguson, and top contender, Justin Gaethje.

Twitter: ://twitter.com/Ross_Markey