Cat Zingano issues statement on UFC release

Yesterday afternoon, news surfaced that former UFC bantamweight title challenger Cat Zingano had been released from the UFC roster.

Shortly after this news surfaced, Zingano released a brief statement on her divorce with the UFC to ESPN. In her statement, the fan favorite admitted that the timing of this ordeal is unfortunate, but assured that we haven’t seen the last of her.

“I didn’t want to take the ultimatum this time,” Zingano said in her statement to ESPN (via MMA Mania). “So I guess you can say it was mutual. I had a project that was very, very important to me, and to the MMA community and fans, and I needed to put me, my son, my training and that first before I had anything to give to the UFC,” she added. Still, Cat made it clear that her fighting days are from from over.

“It’s shitty timing, but it happens, and I’m still a fighter and ready to fuck shit up.”

Cat Zingano parts ways with the UFC having not fought since December, when she was stopped by former Invicta champ Megan Anderson. This stoppage loss was quite controversial as it was caused by a toe to the eye. Zingano attempted to appeal this loss, but was not able to make much headway on this front.

Prior to that loss, Zingano picked up an impressive victory over Marion Reneau. This win, a unanimous decision, separated the former title challenger from consecutive losses Ketlen Vieira, Julianna Peña, and Ronda Rousey — the latter occurring in her lone bid for UFC gold.

Cat Zingano began her MMA career with an impressive 9-0 start, including impressive UFC triumphs over future UFC champions Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes, both by stoppage, and a decision win over recent UFC bantamweight title challenger Raquel Pennington outside the Octagon.

At 37 years old, she’s currently a solid 10-4 overall. What do you think the future holds for her?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 8/14/2019.

The post Cat Zingano issues statement on UFC release appeared first on | BJPenn.com.

Cat Zingano on UFC departure: ‘I guess you can say it was mutual’

Onetime UFC bantamweight title challenger Cat Zingano said her decision to pursue a personal project led to a “mutual” decision to leave the promotion.

After MMA Junkie broke the news Zingano had parted with the UFC on Wednesday, ESPN obtained a statement from Zingano which gave her side of the story.

“I didn’t want to take the ultimatum this time,” Zingano stated to ESPN. “So I guess you can say it was mutual. I had a project that was very, very important to me, and to the MMA community and fans, and I needed to put me, my son, my training and that first before I had anything to give to the UFC.

“It’s (expletive) timing, but it happens, and I’m still a fighter and ready to (expletive) (expletive) up,” Zingano continued.

Zingano did not elaborate on the personal project that prompted her to delay her return to the cage, or what the “ultimatum” entailed. Requests for comment to Zingano’s management team were not immediately returned.

MMA Junkie first reported Zingano’s departure, which comes eight months after an unusual loss in the octagon. A fight with former Invicta FC champ Megan Anderson ended in a first-round TKO loss when Anderson’s toe grazed her eye, causing extensive damage that required medical attention for several months.

The pain from her injury was intense, and Zingano said she’d “have a baby 10 times before I’d do that again.” Zingano appealed her loss to Anderson, arguing the definition of eye pokes was not specific enough to address the situation she faced. Her appeal was denied, but the California State Athletic Commission, which regulated the bout at UFC 232, is considering the modification of its regulations as pertains to eye pokes.

Although Zingano has dropped four of her past five bouts, she holds wins over current two-division champion Amanda Nunes, former bantamweight titleholder Miesha Tate, former title challenger Raquel Pennington.

Former Bantamweight Title Challenger Cat Zingano Released By The UFC

Ethan Miller
Cat Zingano’s Octagon journey is over.

According to reports, former UFC bantamweight title challenger, ‘Alpha’ Cat Zingano has been released by the Ultimate Fighting Championship. First reported by @mma_kings_ on Twitter, two sources confirmed that the Minnesota native had been informed of her release yesterday. Zingano last competed in December 2018 in her featherweight debut against lengthy Australian striker Megan Anderson.

Zingano who featured in the Octagon on seven separate occasions amassed a 4-3 record in the promotion. Two notable stoppage finishes over former championship holder Miesha Tate and current two-division champion Amanda Nunes fast-tracked Zingano into her premier championship tilt against the then-undefeated Ronda Rousey. In a morally crushing defeat, Zingano was dispatched within just fourteen seconds of the opening round, after initiating a takedown attempt on Rousey immediately. Rousey countered expertly and set up a straight armbar stoppage.

Personal and health issues outside the Octagon limited the 37-year-old’s activity in the promotion to just four more contests. Zingano returned against TUF victor Julianna Pena at UFC 200, losing the three-round affair via unanimous decision. A second loss to Ketlen Vieira soon followed in yet another, albeit much closer and contentious split decision display. Returning to the win column against Marion Reneau last summer, Zingano was then scheduled to meet Megan Anderson in a potential featherweight title eliminator at UFC 232. In unfortunate circumstances, Zingano was forced to cruel up early in the opening round. After initially controlling the clinch, Zingano separated, with Anderson attempting a high kick. The shot grazed the eyeball of Zingano who turned away from Anderson as the referee called a halt to the match. Zingano unsuccessfully appealed the stoppage loss on the grounds of an illegal eye gouge to the Californian State Athletic Commission.

BREAKING | Cat Zingano released from the UFC

Former UFC bantamweight title challenger Cat Zingano is no longer a UFC fighter.

This news was first reported by Nolan King of MMA Junkie.

Zingano parts ways with the UFC having not fought since December, when she was stopped by former Invicta champ Megan Anderson. This stoppage loss was quite controversial as it was caused by a toe to the eye. Zingano attempted to appeal this loss, but was not able to make much headway on this front.

Prior to that loss, Zingano picked up an impressive victory over Marion Reneau. This win, a unanimous decision, separated the former title challenger from consecutive losses Ketlen Vieira, Julianna Peña, and Ronda Rousey — the latter occurring in her lone bid for UFC gold.

Cat Zingano began her MMA career with an impressive 9-0 start, including impressive UFC triumphs over future UFC champions Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes, both by stoppage, and a decision win over recent UFC bantamweight title challenger Raquel Pennington outside the Octagon.

At 37 years old, she’s currently a solid 10-4 overall.

At present, it’s not clear where Zingano will end up, though she’s likely to be pursued by a number of major organizations — perhaps by ONE Championship or Bellator.

Zingano has yet to comment on her reported release from the UFC, but we’ll keep you posted on that. Stay tuned to BJPenn.com for further updates as details emerge.

Are you surprised to learn that Cat Zingano has parted ways with the UFC?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 8/14/2019.

The post BREAKING | Cat Zingano released from the UFC appeared first on | BJPenn.com.